Shrewsbury School

The news this week 100 years ago: 5th - 11th October 1918

Thursday 4 October 2018

This week we remember three former pupils.

Lieutenant John Howard Cooke, Mechanical Transport Army Service Corps attd Royal Garrison Artillery
Moser’s. Cricket XI, “a dangerous fast bowler and a big hitter”. he left in 1910.

At the outbreak of war, he enlisted with the 9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment. He entered the army from the Manchester University Officer Training Corps as a Second Lieutenant and later submitted an application for transfer to the Army Service Corps and was made Lieutenant in June 1916. He served with a Mechanical Transport Company of the Army Service Corps attached to the 118th (and later the 11th) Siege Battery, Ammunition Column, Royal Garrison Artillery on the Western Front.

His service was punctuated with several illnesses including inflamation of the heart and a displaced knee cartliage. He was admitted to 8th General Hospital in Rouen following a gun shot wound to the leg in August 1918. He died of bronchopneumonia on 9th October 1918 at 72nd General Hospital, aged 25, in France.

He is buried at Tourgeville Military Cemetery, France. Grave IV. C. 18.

Lieutenant John Cooke (image courtesy of the Imperial War Museum)

Lieutenant John Cooke (image courtesy of the Imperial War Museum) 

Second Lieutenant James Bainton Stowell Gell, 56th Bde Royal Field Artillery
Moser’s, left in 1916.

He was killed in action on the Western Front in France after only a few weeks' service on 9th October 1918, aged 19.
He is buried at Awoingt British Cemetery, France. Grave V. B. 1.


Image courtesy of the Imperial War Museum

Captain Kenneth Sutherland Rudd, 10th Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Bennett’s (now Severn Hill); left in 1913 with a scholarship to Jesus College, Cambridge.

He enlisted in the Shropshire Light Infantry immediately war broke out and was gazetted in August 1914 and posted to the West Yorkshire Regiment. He was promoted Lieutenant in June 1915 and obtained his Captaincy in May 1918.

He went to France with his Battalion in July1915 and was severly wounded in April 1916. Following his convalescence, he returned to France in October 1917 as Acting Adjutant.

When home on leave owing to wounds, he more than once was one of the Staff at the Shrewsbury Club (Liverpool) Camp at Frodsham.

He was killed in action in France on 10th October 1918, aged 24.
He is buried at Caudry British Cemetery, France. Grave II. F. 17.

back to top