It is truly inspiring to see the acts of kindness from all areas of our Salopian Family. Social media and news channels are awash with highlights of activities and stories of connection and charitable endeavours that everyone can engage in if they are able.
In March and April Salopians have raised over £7,000 for worthy causes to help their communities and support the ongoing work of all key workers from the NHS, in schools, in care settings and food banks.
Our local NHS Trusts have provided thanks to the school and its staff for support in recent times:
John Short, Volunteer Co-ordinator for Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Care Group at MPFT (Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust), “Since the start of the lockdown twenty of the Shrewsbury School teaching and support staff have been providing a volunteer rota for the Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust undertaking a range of practical support jobs for the local mental health services in Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin. The community-based jobs have included picking up urgent blood samples, delivering prescriptions, taking PPE to community staff and making regular contact with older patients living alone and at home with memory problems. The volunteering service has been warmly received by the local NHS community services and the service will be continuing whilst the lockdown continues, and school duties allow.”
Cathy Riley, Managing Director and Operations Director, Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Care Group, said that she "was very grateful for the school approaching the Trust and setting up this rota and it’s great to see the school supporting the local mental health and NHS services" '.
Below is a collection of some of the activities and stories that may still be ongoing or have occurred in recent months. This is not an exhaustive list. There are also links to support or engage if you are able and would like to make contributions.
Some Salopians are undertaking physical challenges to raise money for worthy charities:
L Evans (PH U6th) - 26 days cycling 26 miles every day in aid of Shropshire Mind; current total £1200
M Nuijten (MSH Upper 6th) - virtually ‘Climbing’ Mount Kenya supporting her local community, visit here for full story; current total £1492
To support visit - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/mairi-nuijten-1
A Biggs (PH L6) & all of Port Hill plus others across the Salopian Family - 26 Activities on 26 March for Medic Malawi; current total £977
T Wylie (PH 3rd Form) - 5K run each day for 32 days (started on 29th April) raising money for Leukaemia Research and Blood Cancer Trust in memory of his older brother, who would be 32 this year; current total £1195
To support visit - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/theo-wylie
Rob Cross (OS) & Rob Treasure (OS) - Cricket Marathon in their gardens running 2,387 times between cricket stumps, wearing whites and gloves with a cricket bat in hand raising money for Chance to Shine and NHS; current total £7,000+
Sponsored Head Shaving
A Carroll Ch 3rd Form – A sponsored head shave for NHS Charities Together; current total £540
Mrs F Nicholas (staff) – A sponsored head shave for Alzheimer’s Society; current total £1500
To support visit - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fenellanicholas
Lots of Salopians have been volunteering or collecting, here are some examples:
- Over 20 staff are volunteering with their local NHS Trusts to help with moving PPE around the area between hospitals, pickup and delivery of prescriptions, food shopping for the vulnerable and 'check and chat' phone calls in support of the lonely and vulnerable
- C Williams (MSH L6) – working in a local hospice, chatting & making tea
- I Morris (MSH 5th Form) – volunteered in a care home for a fortnight in the holidays
- H Davies (R 5th Form) - is helping his brother Guy, who has learning difficulties, as his 'LS teacher' during lockdown.
- Lesley Drew (staff) – collecting and clapping, porch collection of treats for Briarfields, the Care Home.
Other Activities and Donations
- Our Design Faculty has produced 1,000+ face shields. These have been produced throughout the Easter holiday and Summer Term at up to 100 per day depending on availability of materials. These items have gone to GPs locally in Shropshire and in Cheshire, as well as to a group of local care homes.
- Over 300 pairs of eye goggles from Biology, Chemistry and Design have been donated to hospitals in Shrewsbury and Telford.
- Over 1250 pairs of gloves, 100+ surgical masks, 100s of disposable aprons and surplus anti-bacterial hand wash have all been donated to the hospitals in Shrewsbury, Telford and the Severn Hospice.
- Webcams have been donated to a local GP to enable remote consultations.
- Following two large generous donations of masks, from a Hong Kong family and a Chinese family 2000 face masks have been delivered to a group of local care homes recently.
- Tea, coffee, and sugar, plus toiletries have been donated to the local hospital.
- Accommodation has also been made available for NHS as might be required; this has not been accessed yet.