We are passionate about extending participation and opportunity in sport, both working with local partners and with regional and national sporting bodies.
Our indoor and outdoor facilities are excellent in quality and quantity, and this means that we can support access to sport both at recreational and competitive levels throughout the year.
We have been working with partner organisations for many years to expand the sporting horizons of young people and to provide them with an opportunity to engage and excel in sports through:
- Undertaking a ‘Dedicated Athlete Programme’ which is open to students from local schools – looking at improving performance through strength and conditioning, mentoring and a programme of sports-related talks
- Holding Cricket festivals in summer using our pitches and purpose-built indoor centre, and hosting a long list of cricketing events and teams such as Lady Taverners, county cricket teams and the ECB
- Enabling the use of:
- our astro-turf pitches for hockey county training and tournaments
- our squash courts for the general public and for local schools
- our swimming pool for local schools and providing a Swim Academy for the general public
- our rowing facilities; providing access to our boat house and equipment for charitable events / regattas; hosting West Midlands Training Days; staff involved with GB training
Benefits and Impact
Through widening the participation in sports we have:
- Supported local young people to engage in new sports and improve their existing skills
- Enabled ‘County Gateways’ in various sports for young people and our pupils to access highly qualified coaches
- Reduced travel time to tournaments / county training and events for participants
Illustrating the impact of widening participation in sport:
"He has really enjoyed coming to Shrewsbury School. Would love to continue. He feels it is a great opportunity for him to excel. Also has helped him improve in all lessons. His grades have improved and gone up in groups."
Parental feedback on Dedicated Athletes Programme
"I can only thank the schools for this opportunity- one that my child embraced learning new techniques, networks and friendships."
Parental feedback for the Dedicated Athletes Programme
Our continued push to drive wider engagement and participation in sport will be achieved through:
- Providing a venue to host the Marches Academy Trust games Promoting cross country events more actively to all schools Hosting football events for local primary schools
- Exploring the further use of our cricket centre for local schools, refugees, and disability groups Supporting Shropshire Squash initiatives to widen participation in state primaries
- Widening access to our rowing facilities with Pengwern and local schools